I’m passionate about helping firms win more new business and retain existing clients…
I get a kick out of seeing professionals thrive!
During her 15 years immersed in professional services marketing Amy has seen what works, and what doesn’t.
Her advice and practical know-how propels professional practices to better business development and greater profitability.
Expert in tenders, proposals and pitches for business, Amy has an enviable success rate which derives from clear thinking, spot on advice, creative approaches to presenting credentials and effective project management.
Amy has special knowledge of tendering to all levels of government and the insurance sector. Long term relationships with clients means Amy takes clients’ credentials and bids to another level through effective and persuasive evidence driven storytelling to win work.
Since 2009 her success rate in tenders and bids has consistently run at better than 80%, see more details of Amy’s impressive track record here.
Amy’s latest publication, Part 1 of JMA’s Win more tenders, bids & proposals series, is available for download here.
A Partner in the business Amy also leads the consulting team at JMA along with Director, Mark Midwinter.
Marketing and business development expertise
Beyond winning bids, tenders and pitches Amy’s successes extend across the marketing mix to:
- identifying and resolving gaps in firms’ marketing effectiveness
- persuasive copywriting for attention-getting market communications and advertisements
- advising on pricing, scoping projects and alternative fee models
- client, market and industry research exercises
- designing and articulating new service offerings
- generating need recognition for services in both established and new, untapped markets
- implementing effective direct mail campaigns to stimulate business growth
- readying practices for sale or merger
- formulating and implementing practical initiatives to boost referrals
- coaching professionals to develop business and proposal interviews
- branding, rebranding, art direction and adding polish to firms’ professional presentation
- preparing high ranking legal directory submissions
- developing and improving website effectiveness
- advising on maximising gains from social and digital media in the professional services context
- evaluating and leveraging sponsorship opportunities
- developing winning award submissions
- advising on event organisation and management
- media relations and responding to adverse publicity.
Sector and services knowledge
Amy’s credentials span supporting diverse professional services and other services businesses including:
- law firms, lawyers and barristers around Australia and New Zealand
- accountants, actuaries, auditors and insolvency professionals
- insurance investigators, brokers and loss adjusters
- wealth management and financial services firms
- intellectual property and patent attorneys
- consulting engineers and project managers
- IT vendors and software as a service providers
- corporate governance and company secretaries
- migration agents
- logistics and transport services
- business relocation professionals and facilities managers
- healthcare and rehabilitation services providers
- charities and not-for-profit organisations
- childcare centre operators
- hospitality sector players and restaurateurs.
Her research and writing skills were honed through her Bachelor of Arts (Australian History) and Diploma in Business (Marketing).
Prior to joining Julian Midwinter & Associates in 2007, she managed marketing at two successful commercial law firms and for Australia’s largest engineering consultancy.
What clients are saying about Amy
“Very impressed with how well and how quickly ABB was able to walk in my shoes. Superb advice and service.”
Director, building inspections firm, 2016
“Amy was brilliant!”
Managing Partner, national Australian law firm, 2016
“Whilst I know that there were other members of your team working on this RFP, I dealt only with Amy. She was exceptionally professional, hardworking, innovative, understanding and very accessible throughout the entire process.”
Partner of national law firm, 2016
“Amy is always available & has the industry knowledge to assist in crafting a response which may attract the assessor.”
Practice Group Leader, law firm, 2016
“Working with Amy, our document was able to provide new solutions and direct the client to alternative ways to achieve savings with a preferred result for all.”
Practice Group Leader, national Australian firm, 2016
“Thank you for making the [tendering] process enjoyable, rewarding and seamless. Your intelligence, expertise and professionalism is outstanding. Your personal skills (and on this one we have largely dealt with each other by email) have been terrific. I look forward to working with you again. You are a great resource for [our firm] and we love having you on our team.”
Managing Partner of NZ boutique law firm, 2015
“Thanks also to Amy for her valuable assistance. She was well organised, on top of the subject, accessible and pleasant to deal with.”
Principal of NSW specialist law firm, 2015
Amy's blog posts
Maybe you’re one of those fortunate professionals who has such a stand out service to offer that it’s clearly technically superior, demonstrably better, and so reported by objective analysts and high-profile “industry authorities”. You and your firm have no trouble attracting, winning, growing and retaining right-fit clients. More likely, the professional services you offer – […]
Hard sells simply don’t work in professional services; most of us don’t like being “sold” to. As we’ve discussed before, building brand and marketing activities are only the backdrop to real business development conversations and interactions. Unfortunately, when it comes to winning work from prospective clients, many professionals open business development conversations using material unlikely to […]
Back in 1962, car hire company Avis was struggling. They had only 11% market share, and hadn’t turned a profit in 13 years. Under the direction of new CEO Robert Townsend, the company launched their famous campaign theme of being number two in the market, with the slogan “We try harder”, drawing positive attention to […]