When you have an opportunity to meet with a new business or commercial client, be prepared.
Here’s a quick checklist of “homework” for your first meetings.
- Check out their website
- Run through background issues on the company, industry, and its competitors
- Find out, if you can, who currently handles their legal work
- Think through the legislative, statutory, and regulatory environment they face
- Try to get some background on the person you’ll be meeting – career and personal background, any mutual acquaintances, any shared experiences
- List a few questions or issues to explore during your meeting
- Go in with an open mind, genuinely interested in learning about the client and their business.
You can never be over-prepared – but be ready to be flexible and engaged.
For more help on making the most of first meetings with potential clients, please get in touch
Never miss a post
Stay up-to-date with business development insights and tips from our blog.
In the wake of the ‘new normal’ COVID-19 has brought we are all learning new techniques and trialling different approaches to managing tenders, bids and proposals. Many bid teams who would normally work alongside each other have had to drastically adjust as the old onsite collaboration model has (for now) been turned on its head. […]